Friday, September 14, 2007

Rocks, girlfriends and lawnmowers

It's early and the drama has begun. The girls are up and doing something a little different than their usual morning routine. Steffanie is watching Sprout and being very whinny. She's usually pretty docile but not today. Sadie is moving and shaking things up. She's getting into everything and off crawling all over the house. Which is actually pretty normal for Sadie.
It's been an interesting week with doctors appointments for regular check ups and the occasional trip to urgent care to have aquarium rocks removed from two year old nostrils. Yep, Steffanie decided to stuff an aquarium rock up her nose and it was a pretty big one too. But first, it wasn't enough that she dumped out the five gallon fish tank, she had to add to the drama and stuff that rock into the easiest orifice she could think of. Not only did she stuff it up her nose she did it at bed time. So, at 9pm I decided this pebble wasn't coming out on its own and I'd better take her to the doctor. The doctor got it out successfully but she also insulted me by accusing me of not watching my child around the fish tank. I couldn't believe it...I leave the room to get towels to mop up the water and the vacuum to suck up the rocks and this doctor implies that I dare leave my daughter alone with an aquarium. I should have said something but I think I was in too much shock that she could be so rude. We lived through the whole ordeal and the fish is now safely in it's tank(thank God I hadn't put it in yet) and Steff can breath again.
Kieran has been trying to get this girl to "go out" with him since the beginning of school. I want to know where they're going to "go." He has been dressing nicer and doing his hair the way she likes. I think it's ridiculous, especially since she told him he has a 2% chance out of 10 that she'll go out with him. I have to give him credit for being so persistent but I hate seeing my poor son come home disappointed that she still put him off. I wish he'd find better things to concentrate on. I figure if I feel this way now I don't have much hope when he's a teenager. Or better yet, when his sisters are teenagers......
He had his first flag football practice last night and it got him all fired up to play. He said he did pretty well and he likes his coach. His first game is on Tuesday at 5:30. All of his games are on Tuesdays and Thursdays so Ryan won't be able to go to them all since that conflicts with work and they changed the policy that personal time must be taken for "an emergency." I wonder if they'll bend a little since they are such a small company that prides itself on family being important. I'm sure he'll be able to make it to some of his games.
Ryan got his lawn mower experiment to work with success! The problem was that the lawn was just too wet and way too long. He was so excited the other day when he mowed the lawn and it worked. I'm very proud of him but I haven't seen him attempt to create something without luck to this day.
Sadie had another fall down more cement stairs. Steffanie innocently left the door to the mudroom open and she crawled out it and went head first down the four steps. At least I think that's what happened I was in our bedroom waking Ryan up for the day when I heard her crying. I figured she was just stuck in one of the many unusual spots she crawls into and then cannot get out of. When I found her she was stuck alright. She was head down on the last step and trying to figure out how to get out of her predicament. She weathered pretty well considering. She ended up with a dime sized bruise on her cheek and a quarter size raspberry on the top of her head. Try as I might I cannot keep this poor child out of harms way. I'm just glad I don't have to talk with that doctor and hear her accuse me of some sort of neglect. She'd probably accuse me of having a door that my two year could open. It was truly that ridiculous when she accused me of leaving my child unattended with a fish tank.
I've been feeling terrible lately though. I've had a persistent headache and have been feeling achy and icky from the effects of allergies. I hadn't gotten my Allegra filled until a couple of days ago and my understanding is that the stuff has to build up in your system before it will work. I had a migraine headache so I took a dose of Maxalt and I got so loony you could have poured me into a to go cup and I wouldn't have noticed or minded. The worst part is that I had to take two of these monsters to get the dog-on thing to go completely away. I am so thankful my mom was here to help me with my kids because I didn't know it was going to affect me that way. I know the next time I get a migraine I'll be sure I'd rather deal with the side affects over the pain of the headache. I even had a conversation that I couldn't recall with Kieran's football coach. I had to call and admit my escaping mind and ask for directions to practice again. The coaches wife said she understood and re-gave me the directions. Wow, I was gone...
As a family we are doing well. We haven't done anything exciting-at least not all together. All of our doctors appointments went well and Kieran is being tested for hypothyroid. His dad suffered from it his whole life and I don't know the last time Kieran was tested but he should have one once a year. He was a trooper when the nurse took his blood. After the initial prick he watched the blood go up into the vial. He thought that was pretty cool. That's pretty much the skinny on our family for the last week. I hope you all have had a little more luck and peace on your lives. God bless you and keep you.

No comments: