Wednesday, September 19, 2007

And then there were twins

Well hello again friends, family and fans alike. It's been an interesting week. I have been taking care of my best friend Jenn's twins. Ry and I agree they are beautiful children and well behaved as well. It's been nuts though. I must admit it's been more crazy because on Monday and Tuesday I hadn't had squat for sleep. I for some unknown, terrible reason woke up at the early hour of 3:30am. Yes folks, I have been zombified...but never fear, I got a full night of sleep and I am feeling alive and refreshed for the first time in days. It's been a true blessing to have them in my home even if it's added 2 extra minds and mouths to the mix. I think I could probably do this more often. Now, don't go getting any ideas like that we are going to be having more kids because if you'll recall we still have one that's on formula yet. She (Sadie) turned 11 months yesterday and I started the financial count down to formula freedom. It's been an adjustment for the whole family having Heather and Vance here for the week. Not a bad adjustment but more of an eye opener and reality check. Up til this week I couldn't figure out how my neighbor who has 3 kids under 5 did it. I'm thinking it's not that big of a deal....
Ryan has stated this will seal the deal that we aren't having any more. I think he thought it was going to be hell on earth and boy was he wrong. He's actually had a great time with them and secretly I think he's been looking at Vance and daydreaming about what it would be like to have a boy of his own. On Monday he pulled out the lawn tractor and trailor and gave the kids a ride all over our yard. Now remember we have a half acre and that makes for lots of room to pull doughnuts in...and he did. They wanted to "go fast" so he was zippin' all over our yard without regard to the sprinklers that he's always reminding Kieran and I not to run over. He's either got their placement memorized or he just flat out didn't think about it because of the great time he was having. I know he was having a good time because his smile match the kids' in size and authenticity. He's been a super big help too. He let me take a 45 minute nap yesterday and he took all four kids out to play. When I got up he said I missed all the fun and his hair layed perfectly flat on his head. I guess it was no big deal. He reminds me on a regular basis how wonderful he is. I don't know what I'd do without all his love and support.
Kieran has been Mr. Helpful this week. He's even managed to earn an extra dollar each day for all his invaluable help. He's come home from school, done his chores, and played with Heather, Vance and Steffanie. All without any complaining and mostly on his own accord.
He had his first flag football game last night and in spite of being the losing team he played well and as usual gave it his all. He wasn't too disappointed when he told me the score just more "mater of fact" like. I couldn't be more proud of this little gem of mine this week.
Steffanie has learned a little lesson this week. Up until now she hadn't been socialized around other children. Monday was a little tough for her with the sharing of her toys and mom and dad's time but Tuesday when she wanted something Vance had been playing with she took to reasoning that she could have a turn in a minute and that she needed to share quite well. I think she has enjoyed having others to play with. Ryan calls her and Vance "little spitfires" and just by watching them together you know they could get into serious mischief together. They are very much alike in their behaviors and attitudes.
Sadie has had an eye full this week. Monday she just crawled around and watched the twins but Tuesday she started following them around. It's been cute to watch her with them. You can tell she likes them by her reception of them when they come close to her. She always gives them big smiles. The twins watch out for her too. If she takes off and crawls into the kitchen inevitably one of them will pick her up and carry her back into the living room. It's really sweet but from a mother's view point...it makes me nervous.
It's just about time to take all the kids out to play in the yard and I have a few chores to get finished up so I'm sure I'll be back later this week with more stories to tell.

No comments: